MEET #2694 ERIC KALLMAN
Copywriter • New York City
Eric Kallman is responsible for some of the funniest and most awarded advertising in the world for clients like Old Spice, Skittles, Kayak and Ragu. "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” for Old Spice took over the planet while making every man feel inadequate. His career has taken him to Chiat/Day NY, Wieden+Kennedy Portland, Barton F. Graf 9000 and now freelance. We are ecstatic to welcome him to Working Not Working and caught up with him 6 days into his freelance career.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
Six days. I've learned there are lots of forms.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
I usually am the most productive when working with one or two other people. Sometimes it's an ECD and sometimes it's with a junior team, but just someone to talk with and bounce stuff off of.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
Personally, I really like what I do. I like keeping busy, so I'd always like to be working.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
It's taken about eight years of explanation every trip home, but I think they're starting to get their heads around it.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
Maybe because it's the holidays, but every time I think about that scene in Elf where he's being solicited flyers by a row of people on the street and he stops to say a sincere thank you after he takes each one I smile.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Watch sports, watch movies, run and play with my dogs. Crouton and Hobo. They're the best.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I've played the piano my whole life. I guess it's only hidden because I couldn't bring my piano with me to New York.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
I am a great guide for days one through six.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
The mountain man, or "the living man," defending himself in court against charges of fishing without a license as he was merely trying to feed himself. He's pretty awesome. Look him up.