MEET #5020 DAN MATUTINA
Illustrator • Manila, Philippines
WNW Member #5020 Dan Matutina is a designer and illustrator based in the Philippines. Dan is an ADC Young Gun and the co-founder of Plus63 Design Co. He's worked with companies like Nike, Google, Heineken, Coca-Cola, Airbnb, and Samsung. Dan spoke to WNW about catching the sun rise from his studio, and the importance of taking fun projects that don't pay.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
I’ve been doing freelance illustration work for about 8 years already. I do design work in my own design studio (Plus63 Design Co) as well.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
I love working in the morning. It’s usually very peaceful and quiet in the studio. I can see the sun rising from the window. It makes for a very conducive work space. A good cup of coffee from a local coffee shop helps.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
90:10. I love working. Hahaha. So even if I’m not working I’m still thinking about work from time to time.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
Sort of. Haha. But they had a hard time understanding it before.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
The “revenge” pepper scene in Dumb & Dumber. Always cracks me up. Haha.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
Facebook so I can keep in touch with people. Gmail, so I can tell clients that I won’t be able to meet the deadline. Instapaper, so I can read all the nice stuff I’ve bookmarked while waiting for the search & rescue team.
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Not working is usually spent travelling, meeting people, drinking coffee, eating food and watching movies.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I’m a decent folk dancer. Haha.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
It helps to leave a slot in your work load for projects that A) pay a lot but have a short timeline & B) are fun projects that don't pay. ;)
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
This photo set by Benz Thanachart.