MEET #2996 DAVID BLACK
WNW Member #2996 David Black is a photographer based in Los Angeles. Photo District News selected David as one of 30 emerging photographers to watch in 2011, Print Magazine named David as a top New Visual Artist under 30, and he was included in the Art Directors Club of New York "Young Guns" Show and Book. David studied at The Cooper Union and San Francisco Art Institute. Some of his clients include Nike, Converse, Levi's, Ray Ban, Shinola, Budweiser. David spoke to WNW about what sparks his creativity.
1. How long have you been freelancing?
Since 2003 when I graduated from art school.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
Locations inspire me the most, lately it’s been living in the most bizarre city in the world… Los Angeles.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
My schedule is so erratic, but my ideal situation is 100% working.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
They do, I was blessed to have a Dad that was really into photography. He set up a dark room for me when I was a kid, which was a great adventure.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Surf & travel
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
hell of a juggler
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Accept that your friends with 9/5s will never forgive you for constantly changing plans, missing events.