MEET #2465 ZIPENG ZHU
Designer • New York, NY
Originally from China, WNW Member #2465 Zipeng Zhu is now a full-time designer at Sagmeister & Walsh in New York City. WNW spoke to Zipeng about working full-time. Most recently, he's been working as lead designer on the new identity for The Jewish Museum.
1. How long have you been working as a designer at Sagmeister & Walsh?
I have been full time since the day after I graduated last year in May.
But I take on various freelance projects and do lots of personal projects at the same time.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
When I'm taking a hot shower or when I wondering around in the city.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
4 days working 3 days not.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
They understand what I make but don't understand why it takes so long.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
If I choose google, would I be able to search and use gmail?
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Eat eat eat.
Sleep sleep sleep.
Eat again after sleep...
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I am really good at karaoke. (at least I think I am)
9. Any tips or advice for fellow designers?
Do what you want to do most through personal projects.