MEET #2825 LIZ MARKS
Copywriter • Miami, FL & Los Angeles, CA
We often imagine a writer hunched over a desk in a stuffy room battling insomnia. This is not how WNW Member #2825 Liz Marks operates. The Miami-based copywriter told us that she comes up with the best ideas "first thing in the AM. On my couch. I never sit at a desk. Ever." Liz's approach works just fine, as she has created fresh ideas for top clients like Apple, Google, Samsung, Coke, Citibank, vitaminwater, and Netflix. Liz also offers some straightforward advice to fellow freelancers, free of charge: "Be nice and fun to be around. It goes a long way."
1. How long have you been freelancing?
This will be my second year.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
First thing in the AM. On my couch. I never sit at a desk. Ever.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
Ideal: 70/30. Actual: 90/10. I really need to work on the “not working” part.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
Yup! I’m lucky. Momma ain’t no fool.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
The “you’re going the wrong way” scene from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
YouTube – So I can watch videos on how to survive on a desert island.
Liz-marks.com – So I can work remotely and stay relevant for when/if I decide to return from the desert island.
Google – It’s kind of like asking a genie for more wishes…
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Sweat. I’m always up for a good physical challenge.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I’m a writer by trade but I have an uncanny ability to draw Pokemon. I also have a freakishly high vertical jump.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Be nice and fun to be around. It goes a long way.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?