MEET #5037 CHRIS CARBONI
Director • New York, NY
WNW Member #5037 Chris Carboni has directed work for a wide range of clients including Adult Swim, Coca Cola, Showtime, and many more. He's an elite animator whose vibrant style combines the colors and contrasts of pop art and graphic novels, while infusing his own indelible flair. We asked Chris if his parents understand what he does for a living: "Nowadays, yes they really do. In the past, though, 'working on an Apple commercial' would translate into 'inventing the next iPhone.'" Chris also delivers some tweetable advice to fellow creatives: "Work hard, be nice."
1. How long have you been freelancing?
I've been freelance for six years.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
I think any place has potential to inspire. For me, a change in environment often sparks a change in perspective - sometimes it simply has to do with the physical act of moving. I tend to get my best ideas when I'm away from my computer, out in the world, focusing on something non-digital.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
I think this depends on the kind of work I'm doing, but on average I try to keep things 70/30.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
Nowadays, yes they really do. In the past, though, "working on an Apple commercial" would translate into "inventing the next iPhone."
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
I guess NY Times, G-Mail, and Netflix. Web MD would be helpful, but survival is less appealing if I can't watch the new season of House of Cards.
7. What do you do when Not Working?
I chill. And I travel. And I eat food, lots of it.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I can rap.. kinda.. When I was a kid my friends and I would freestyle all the time. It's been a while, but I like to think I could still hold my own in a cypher. Hopefully this is never tested...
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Work hard, be nice.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
I came across a new Boston Dynamics robot video which is pretty sweet. I love the ones of quadrupeds that walk over precarious terrain while their human overlords kick them in the back. When Judgement Day is upon us, we will only have ourselves to blame..