MEET #1517 DAN CASSARO
Designer • Brooklyn, New York
WNW Member #1517 Dan Cassaro considers himself "a native New Yorker and a frequent Get-The-Hell-Out-of-New-York-Er." But you may already know him as the superhero designer, protecting the freedom of freelancers.
Dan was named an ADC Young Gun in 2011, and has worked for clients that include Beck, Nike, The New York Times, Victoria's Secret, VH1, MTV, McSweeney's, HarperCollins and Carhartt. Dan's work has received accolades from the likes of The New Yorker, Fast Company, The New York Times Magazine, Rolling Stone, The Wall Street Journal, and Esquire.
Below, Dan speaks with WNW and offers some great advice to fellow freelancers: "Don't be afraid to ask questions! Everyone feels like they need to pretend that they know exactly what the are doing when they start out. We're all just dummies trying to look cool, smart, whatever. It usually causes more problems in the long run."
1. How long have you been freelancing?
About 6 years.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
In the car, alone, listening to the radio. Music seems to activate whatever part of my brain it is that gives me ideas.
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
That's the million dollar question, right? If I ever figure it out I will let everyone know.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
Yep. They totally get it. I think people more or less understand what design and illustration is, even if they don't understand the specifics of what goes into it.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
The scene in the Naked Gun when Frank is climbing on the side of the building and he grabs the stone penis. I'm laughing about it right now as I type it out.
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
NONE. The internet would remind me of my old life. I would want to focus on my new life as a warthog hunter/pineapple farmer.
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Lots of road trips with Niamh and the dog.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
I am REALLY good at making breakfast. I used to work as a cook in a diner so I have mastered the art of bacon and eggs.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Everyone feels like they need to pretend that they know exactly what the are doing when they start out. We're all just dummies trying to look cool, smart, whatever. It usually causes more problems in the long run.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
11. Who are some other WNW members whose work you admire, and why?
I love them WNW beautiful babies equally.