MEET #1491 KELSEY DAKE
Illustrator • Phoenix, AZ
WNW Member #1491 Kelsey Dake is a rockstar illustrator. She's an ADC Young Gun and was named one of Print Magazine's Top 20 Under 30 in 2012 . Her work is always exciting, often shining a critical and hilarious spotlight on current affairs and national spectacles. You can see Kelsey's work in the likes of The New York Times, Nike, GQ, Variety, Ad Age, The Atlantic, Converse, and Businessweek. We interviewed Kelsey to find out what she does when Not Working: "Roadtrips! Antiques! Food! Yeah, I’m basically a retiree." Kelsey also sends a blunt reminder to fellow freelancers: "I try to limit my time in the studio between certain weekday hours. I try my hardest to not work weekends. You need to stay balanced otherwise you get burnt out and make shit work."
1. How long have you been freelancing?
I’ve been a full-time freelancer for basically 5 years now.
2. Is there a time or place that you feel most creative/have the best ideas?
Oh man, yeah, first thing in the morning. I like to turn off everything that makes sound, and sit with a cup of coffee while I think. Or the shower, that’s a solid place for brainstorming. (TMI?)
3. What's your ideal Working:Not Working ratio?
To be a freelancer, especially one who works from home, you need to have healthy work hours. I try to limit my time in the studio between certain weekday hours. I try my hardest to not work weekends. You need to stay balanced otherwise you get burnt out and make shit work.
4. Do your parents understand what you do?
My dad is self-employed, so he has always gotten that side of what I do. My mom came and helped me paint some murals for a Beck/Sonos thing, and on the second night of painting she had a meltdown and asked how I do this all the time; she’s gotten what I do really well ever since.
5. What scene from a movie makes you laugh just thinking about it?
6. If you were stranded on a desert island, with your computer, what 3 websites would you take with you?
Twitter, The Superficial, The New York Times.
7. What do you do when Not Working?
Roadtrips! Antiques! Food! Yeah, I’m basically a retiree.
8. Do you have a hidden talent?
This sounds like a dirty question, but I sang onstage with Celine Dion once.
9. Any tips or advice for fellow freelancers?
HAVE A LIFE.
10. What's your favorite thing on the internet this week?
Shit, um, I’ve barely been on the internet this week. But my favorite thing on the internet recently was a video with Drake’s “Ain’t No Tellin” reimagined as “Eight Nutella".
11. Who are some other WNW members whose work you admire, and why?
I don’t play favorites. *sideways hand girl emoji*
12. Anything else you'd like to add that we haven't asked?
What’s for dinner?